Listening to babies during labour
December 19, 2022
Katie James and Dr Rachel Reed
In this episode Rachel & Katie discuss all things listening to babies during labour.
Rachel walks us through:
- The Herstory of listening to the baby’s heart rate during labour.
- The interesting and scary history of the inventer of the pinard trumpet.
- Rachel’s “heart beat” impression!
- Rachel’s ‘under water’ pinard story!
- We discuss pinards and doppler listening devices. #bringbackthepinnard
- What is the evidence for fetal heart rate monitoring in labour.
- The current guidelines on intermittent auscultation. And the one piece of evidence a lot of guidelines are based off.
- The normal and expected changes in a full term healthy baby’s heart rate during labour.
- Rachel gives tips on how to navigate working in the hospital environment with consented or declined auscultations.
- Katie looks for sponsorship from Kendall mint cake, you have to listen to know what we’re on about with this one!
- And last but by no means least, CTG monitoring and what the research says about outcomes for women and infants.
LINKS: Support the show
Rachel's blog post
Like this podcast? Then head over to leave us a review here
Want more from Katie and Rachel?
Katie's website with links to courses and more
Rachel's website with links to courses, blogs, books and the collective
The information provided on this podcast does not, and is not intended to, constitute medical or legal advice; instead, all information available on this site are for general informational purposes only. The Midwives' Cauldron podcast reserves the right to supplement, change or delete any information at any time.
The information and materials on the podcast is provided "as is"; no representations are made that the content is error-free. Whilst we have tried to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information we do not warrant or guarantee the accurateness.