Listening to babies during labour
December 19, 2022
Katie James and Dr Rachel Reed
In this episode Rachel & Katie discuss all things listening to babies during labour.
Rachel walks us through:
- The Herstory of listening to the baby’s heart rate during labour.
- The interesting and scary history of the inventer of the pinard trumpet.
- Rachel’s “heart beat” impression!
- Rachel’s ‘under water’ pinard story!
- We discuss pinards and doppler listening devices. #bringbackthepinnard
- What is the evidence for fetal heart rate monitoring in labour.
- The current guidelines on intermittent auscultation. And the one piece of evidence a lot of guidelines are based off.
- The normal and expected changes in a full term healthy baby’s heart rate during labour.
- Rachel gives tips on how to navigate working in the hospital environment with consented or declined auscultations.
- Katie looks for sponsorship from Kendall mint cake, you have to listen to know what we’re on about with this one!
- And last but by no means least, CTG monitoring and what the research says about outcomes for women and infants.
LINKS: Support the show
Rachel's blog post
- Produced and edited by Katie James - Support the show via our Patreon page or at BuyMeACoffee
- Music Joseph McDade
Like this podcast? Then head over to leave us a review here
Want more from Katie and Rachel?
Katie's website with links to courses and more
Rachel's website with links to courses, blogs, books and the collective