Welcome to season 5!! This episode we have the marvelous Dr Sara Wickham back in the cauldron with us talking all about what’s in her new book Plus Size Pregnancy.
Sara talks to us about:
· How women and families want, need and deserve better answers to their many questions about higher BMI and birth, and that midwives and birth workers need to know what the evidence says.
· Clarification of what is the BMI and as Sara says “it’s a racist, sexist, classist” index created for complete different reason than for health!
· We look at why a higher BMI comes with so many tests and limitations for birth and Sara talks us through the existing evidence.
· Are women with a high BMI more at risk of caesarean section, and if so what are the real reasons behind this?
· Why the phrase morbid obesity is utter nonsense and rooted in a much darker context.
· Sara delves into diet culture, it’s myths and the marketing behind it.
· Weight bias and fat shaming in healthcare.
· And why using BMI is problematic in maternity care.
Get 10% off Katie's Breastfeeding & Lactation: the fundamentals online course today with code POD10 at checkout.
Like this podcast? Leave us a review here
Want more from Katie and Rachel?
The information provided on this podcast does not, and is not intended to, constitute medical or legal advice; instead, all information available on this site are for general informational purposes only. The Midwives' Cauldron podcast reserves the right to supplement, change or delete any information at any time.
The information and materials on the podcast is provided "as is"; no representations are made that the content is error-free. Whilst we have tried to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information we do not warrant or guarantee the accurateness.
The podcast accepts no liability for any loss or damage howsoever arising out of the use or reliance on the content.