Wendy Jones BSc, MSc, PhD, MRPharmS is known for her work on providing a service on the compatibility of drugs in breastmilk and has been a registered breastfeeding supporter for 36 years. She is passionate that breastfeeding should be valued by all and that medication should not be a barrier. In her employed life she was a primary care pharmacist. Wendy left paid work 12 years ago to concentrate on writing her books and developing her website to provide information for mothers and professionals. Wendy was awarded an MBE in the New Year’s Honours List of 2018 for services to mothers and babies.
In this episode I chat to Wendy about all those common questions which start with “is it safe to breastfeed with that medication?!”
· Breastfeeding whilst needing medications for a chronic condition
· Common misconceptions with anxiety and depression medications and breastfeeding
· Is it safe to keep breastfeeding when you catch the common cold or flu?
· Emergency contraception – do you need to stop breastfeeding and will it affect milk supply?
· Wendy tells us about the new medications for migraines
· Colic medicines – is there evidence for this and do they work?
· Why planning in pregnancy is essential to support ongoing breastfeeding for those needing to use any medications long term, and yet unfortunately is still mostly not happening.
· And Wendy tells me how she ended up giving out her personal phone number to the whole of the UK several years ago for any breastfeeding questions on medications and feeding! And was dealing with 10.000 calls a year!
Get 10% off Katie's Breastfeeding & Lactation: the fundamentals online course today with code POD10 at checkout.
Like this podcast? Leave us a review here
Want more from Katie and Rachel?
The information provided on this podcast does not, and is not intended to, constitute medical or legal advice; instead, all information available on this site are for general informational purposes only. The Midwives' Cauldron podcast reserves the right to supplement, change or delete any information at any time.
The information and materials on the podcast is provided "as is"; no representations are made that the content is error-free. Whilst we have tried to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information we do not warrant or guarantee the accurateness.
The podcast accepts no liability for any loss or damage howsoever arising out of the use or reliance on the content.